If you are looking for an easy go-to meal, here it is! These Carnitas are delicious, enjoy them immediately or prep them for later in the week for a quick meal everyone will love!
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more, to taste
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 4 pound pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
• 4 cups Jackfruit (for vegan modification)
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 onions, quartered
• 2 oranges, juiced
• 2 limes, juiced
• 8-12 corn tortillas
• 1 avocado
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 2 lime, wedge
• 1 cup caso fresco
1. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Season pork shoulder with spice mixture, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides.
2. Place cinnamon, garlic, onions, orange juice, lime juice and seasoned pork shoulder into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
3. Remove pork shoulder from the slow cooker and shred the meat before returning to the pot with the juices; season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed. Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to broil. Place carnitas onto a baking sheet and broil until crisp and crusted, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Serve immediately.
** COOKING HACKS**
• to speed up cooking time you may brown and then cook meat for 2 hours in the instant pot.
• if preparing meals, cook meals following directions 1-3 then refrigerate until desired meal time. * complete step 4 and 5.